灰色地带

是对是错, 是黑是白, 是好是坏. 都没有答案, 只有灰色的无奈...

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Another good quote found...

Read from the comments section of a blog:
We have no precedence, which is precisely why we should invent them. If Singapore keeps looking to the past for answers, when will we move forward?

So well-put. How come I can never think and write stuff like that?

Too much engineering thoughts in me? Maybe nothing to do with Engineering.

My train of thoughts seem to only move forward and back, like current through resistors connected in series. Or sometimes, it is locked up like a cross-linked epoxy; too rigid and frigid to twist and bend, rock and roll anymore...

I need to read more; 也许才能解开这脑筋死结, 打破这思维僵局...

About that excellent quote above, it sounded ironical to me at first. All these years as an engineer, I have been drilled that 'leverage' is the key to a shorter learning curve, faster time to market and lower costs. But the act of leveraging is, to a large degree, looking at the past while trying to move forward. By leveraging, I take all good things I have done in the past and use them in my next steps. Isn't that analogous to driving a car forward by looking at the pot holes I avoided, through the rear view mirror?

Maybe I over-generalise. I am probably on the border of belittling the need to study history... haha.

I have always believed in learning from the past so that I don't make the same mistake twice. But I know, not all answers are to be found in the retrospection. Discoveries are only made when a step is taken in the forward direction.

A step.

A B o l d S t e p.

The question is: Am I bold enough?

1 Comments:

At 18/7/05 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I came over here from Technorati! So sad I didnt meet u in Bloggers.SG. Thanks a lot for your comments about my comments =D Glad you liked it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home