灰色地带

是对是错, 是黑是白, 是好是坏. 都没有答案, 只有灰色的无奈...

Monday, May 09, 2005

What's my dream job?

Would liked to have blogged this in Chinese but the conversation with my colleague was entirely in English. Too lazy to translate...

Was chatting with my Indian US colleague (or US Indian colleague?) about what kind of job we take up if we quit what we are doing now. He thinks he would like to be a travelling writer, visiting places, trying new food, doing new stuff, writing reviews, a la loney planet style. I asked if he would think such a job can pay as much (or as little?) as what he's getting now, to that he replied, "maybe lesser but at least I get job satisfaction!"

Hmmm, is that cliche or what? Job satisfaction? Hey, ain't I getting paid? Still not happy? Or is this one of those 21st-century buzz words that everybody uses but nobody understands - like paradigm shift and value-added.

So it's not about getting a monthly paycheck to pay my liabilities in life. I have to *enjoy* what I do. I have to *love* going to work everyday.

And what defines 'enjoyment' at work? Is there an X-factor that makes me look forward going to work everyday?

Nice office with posh furniture? Super kick-ass PC + 21" LCD (to read emails?). Hot babes to flirt around with?

Truth be told, none of the above really applies to me. The state of my cubicle at work is constantly under the threat of violating ISO14K and OSHA regulations. My PC is functional but nothing to brag about. As for the babes, well, the married ones don't qualify and the qualified ones are just '小妹妹', physically and mentally. Anyway, what's flirting? :P

Or on a less-materialistic note: Is it going home everyday feeling a sense of achivement? Or is it a realisation (of 'truth'?) of what I do everyday and therefore spurs me on to do more?

Hmmm, let's see, [mental flashback] what have kept me going all these years were ... ermm, a constant diet of insane deadlines, unpredictable changes and ever-recurring problems. Yeah. Right...

Will there ever be a day where my boss tells me, "Hey I see that you are getting a lot of satisfaction lately from doing this project, I am cutting 10% from your pay this month."

Well, if that's true, then do I get more moolahs if I am all pissed from the crap? Ha!... maybe... Go find a spider first...

I think I have doodled long enough, not gonna think about it anymore...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home